Friday 21 June 2019

Impaled on nails of ice, bareback ladies had fish

Regular readers will know of earlier reviews of Mr Robert Fripp's current ensemble: so please take comments therein as read, and I will add an incremental review from the Royal Albert Hall show on 20th June.

For those unaware, the RAH is big, so it was a handy thing that the 3 drummer lineup persists. Together with a modicum of electronics, hearing them was not a problem. Had they played any errant notes we would have noticed and poured ridicule, but this turned out not to be necessary.

In appearance there is not much change: Collins now starts to resemble a retired physics teacher, although I have never met a physics teacher who can play sax like that. Stacey kept his hat on throughout (again), and spent a protracted period with his back to me hunched over a keyboard that was the size of of a small meringue (I think - maybe he was trying to thread a needle?). Mr Fripp remained imperious at the rear. I suspect he had invisible pieces of string attaching his fingers to each member of the band, thereby ensuring good behaviour.

Reviews of earlier concerts in the tour promised a long-overdue outing for Cat Food; indeed Levin's web site had a picture of the setlist confirming this. Well, it seems that on taking the stage, Mr Fripp saw me and my all-too evident enthusiasm for this ditty, so he substituted The Letter. This is, of course, a very jolly song which drew prolonged applause, but I remain unsated. Likewise, LotR remains unexhumed; would it attract negative attenton these days? Hmmmm. Ballads old and new reinforced the fact that there is a half-century of back catalogue to call on, and three hours was not really enough to do this justice. Unsurprisingly, C21SM appears as encore but this as a new arrangement, including a splendid contribution from Stacey, and a couple of bars of Colonel Bogey for good measure.

Shall I see them again one day? It would be hard to resist the temptation, but I'd be pleased if they were to appear closer to Abersywtyth: I understand the Caersws Ice Rink makes a good high-capacity venue.

The succeeding day, I visited the roof garden at 120 Fenchurch Street (free!), of which more anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment