Things to know if you are organising a Bridge Congress:
- The iniquitous PFI scam means that in order to book space in Ysgol Penweddig (yes, a Welsh medium school), you have to talk to a lady called Laura based in Mansfield. I've had to stay twice in Mansfield and I don't recommend it.
- Otherwise intelligent people find the clearest of forms simply impossible to complete.
- Otherwise punctual people find the word deadline simply impossible to understand.
- 450 packs of cards with attendant boards and packing cases weigh a lot.
- Bridge trophies are very ugly, although I thought Ciocia Magda's augmentation of the Aber silverware was a masterpiece (mistresspiece?).
- Suitably courteous letters to the local newspaper can extract sponsorship monies.
- Machines that will randomly [sic] deal umpteen hands of cards are devious torture instruments beyond Dante's imagination.
- An understanding of the WBF continuous VP scale will help.
- The WBU precept is 12.5%.
- Pinning the regalia on the WBU President is a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey, but it's perhaps best not to tell him that.
- The services of a mild-mannered Wizard are essential.
- The Swiss Teams algorithm is a joy to watch in action.
(There are some indifferent photographs to be seen).